Bratby Law is an English legal boutique providing legal, regulatory and transactional advice in the telecoms, digital and data sectors.
Rob Bratby has over 25 years of experience as a telecoms, digital and data lawyer. He has worked for the UK telecoms regulator, in-house at a leading European telecoms carrier as well as leading City and US law firms in London and Singapore.
What clients say
“I have worked with Rob on a number of telecommunications projects. He has a great understanding of networks and technology and combines this very effectively with his legal and regulatory skills. He is innovative in his approach to issues and very pragmatic in his solutions and advice. A personable and flexible external expert.”
Helen Watson, Vodafone
“Rob has in-depth knowledge of telecoms regulations, understands the business needs of his clients and provides advice that is both legally sound and pragmatic in a short turn-around time. I look forward to continuing working with him.”
Aline Daufresne de la Chevalerie, Orange Business Services
“I worked with Rob on a Telecom Emerging Market deal where his strong technical and industry knowledge was supported by very balanced and commercial legal advice which was valued by his client and other advisors. He stands out from the crowd with regard to providing customised commercial advice at the right time to his client. I would strongly recommend him going forward.”
Heath Snyder, Deloitte
“I worked with Rob over many years whilst I was at Orange. He is one of those rare lawyers who really does understand the business imperatives behind the legal situations businesses find themselves in. Most notably he provided first class support to me and my team on a high profile / high value joint venture network sharing deal. His ability to see both the detail and the bigger strategic picture were enormously helpful.”
Amanda Doyle, Orange
“Rob is a very likeable, intelligent and focused lawyer who excels at analyzing and advising on complex transactions involving telecommunications law and policy. He is at the top of my list of “Go To” lawyers when a deal involves UK telecoms.”
Deb Boehling, Levine, Blaszak, Block & Boothby LLP
“I worked with Rob on several MVNO projects whilst setting up the MVNO business at Orange, where he was instrumental in ensuring that our interests were properly protected. He is an absolute pleasure to work with, and was worth his weight in gold during the negotiations, where he played a lead role. He is incredibly knowledge on all aspects of telecoms. I don’t think I could recommend Rob highly enough, and my advice is make sure he is on your side, as you really wouldn’t want to be opposing him!”
Michael Hunt, Orange
Rob has been recommended (in London and Singapore) by independent third party guides for telecoms, digital and data legal and regulatory advice and transactions since 2004. Current year recommendations can be found HERE.
Recent press coverage
“Rob Bratby launches telecoms, digital and data boutique
“Big Law is Coming to an End’: Former Olswang Asia Head Launches Boutique
“Heading for the cloud: solicitor leaves office to set up virtual firm”
Rob’s private practice work experience includes:
- 2020 – ongoing: Principal Solicitor, Bratby Law
- 2017-2020: Partner, Head of International Telecommunications, Internet and Media (based in London) at Washington DC law firm, Arnold & Porter
- 2011-16: Managing Partner, Asia (based in Singapore) at London telecoms, media and technology law firm Olswang
- 2008-11: Partner, Head of Commercial (based in London) at London telecoms, media and technology law firm Olswang
- 2005-08: Partner, Head of Telecoms (based in London) at Chicago law firm, Mayer Brown
- 2003-05: Counsel at Washington DC law firm, WilmerHale
- 1994-98: Trainee and Associate at global law firm, Baker & McKenzie
Rob worked in-house at leading European competitive local access provider COLT Telecom from 1998-2003, during which time his experience included:
- Director of Partnerships, Alliances and Channels to Market
- Director of Business Development
- Manager, Legal & Regulatory
Rob worked at the UK telecoms regulator, Oftel 1995-1996.
Rob held a short service limited commission in the Royal Artillery and served in West Germany 1989-1990.
Rob’s education includes:
- 2015-16: INSEAD, International Directors’ Programme in Corporate Governance
- 1998-2003: Henley Management College, MBA
- 1997- 98: University of Bristol, Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice
- 1993-94: Nottingham Law School, LPC
- 1990- 93: University of Cambridge, St. John’s College, BA(Hons), MA (Cantab), Natural Sciences and Law
Rob now lives and primarily works from London. He lived and worked in Singapore 2011-2016 and worked widely across ASEAN.
He also works from Italy and Singapore.
Writing, blogging and networking
- Member of the International Institute of Communications
- Member of International Bar Association Communications and Technology committees
- Member of Legalmondo – a non-exclusive international lawyers network
- Member of the Independent Networks Co-operative Association
- Member of the Internet Services Providers Association
- Member of the Law Society of England and Wales
- Experienced blogger
- Experienced conference speaker and chair
- Judge for Total Telecom’s World Communications Awards
- 2011-2020: contributing Editor of International Comparative Legal Guide to Telecoms, Internet and Media Law
Corporate Social Responsibility
We are part of the society in which we operate.
We have responsibilities to a wide range of stakeholders.
A responsible business is not simply concerned with profit maximisation, but also doing good. We try our best to make a difference through our efforts in relation to:
- encouraging social mobility
- promoting diversity and inclusion
- combatting climate change and helping the environment
- promoting the rule of law and human rights
- providing free legal advice to those unable to pay for it
- providing charitable support