I thought that it might be helpful to provide a simple, practical guide to UK telecoms law. This is no substitute for detailed legal advice, but should provide a good starting point. I hope you find it useful.
This guide is written from the viewpoint of a new market entrant, rather than an established communications provider.
To improve accessibility I have broken it down into some logical sections:
- does telecoms law apply to me?
- do I need a licence?
- what telecoms specific rules apply to me?
- how do I get telephone numbers?
- are there any special rules that apply if I want to dig up the street or install telecoms structures?
- do I need to provide interception capability or retain any records?
- can I use radio spectrum?
- what do these defined terms mean and what are the primary sources?
Last updated: April 2020.